From poverty to possibility…and prosperity: What can I do to reduce poverty in Saskatoon?
There are many ways that each of us can play a role in creating a better community for all:
|Poverty is a complex issue…learn more
||Each of us has unique skills, interests and resources to contribute…share more
Each of us can make, ask for, and be the change to reduce poverty…use your influence more
- Get to know a person living in poverty
- Get to know yourself – what are your attitudes, perceptions and feelings towards people living in poverty…why?
- Gardening? Create a community garden
- Animals? Donate pet food and pet supplies
- Professional, business or trade, communication and/or leadership skills
- For example, become a board member for a local organization; provide free financial services
- Donate food, clothes, equipment, toys, money to a charity, shelter or food bank
- Have free space? Share your church, business or recreational facility for community gatherings
Be the Change
- Set an example
- Speak up and out!
- Be a mentor
- Become more self-aware
Ask for Change
- Raise issues with elected officials
- Ask organizations to take action (church, union, professional association)
- Support a candidate who aims to reduce poverty
- Run for office
- Join a poverty-related organization
- Saskatoon Anti-poverty Coalition
- Poverty Free Saskatchewan
- Make Poverty History
- End Poverty Now
Talk about what you’ve learned, shared and influenced to anyone and everyone!
Thank you to the Peterborough Poverty Reduction Network for permission to adapt actions from their how to help webpage at www.pprn.ca